Sunday, September 17, 2017

Becoming a Traveler...

Right before I left town, an old friend (John) talked to me about his years spent in Japan and how he eventually transitioned from a tourist to a traveler.  I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I arrived here in Africa.  I already feel like I've been on the road for weeks and I've actually only been here in southern Africa for three days.  :)

Yesterday and today, we traveled from Johannesburg to Moan, Botswana.  We are "luxury" camping each night and I had forgotten how much I loved sleeping outside since I never went camping while living in LA the past two years.  And it's unbelievably hot and dusty here - Hotter than any place I've ever visited...

Here are just some of the cool animals we saw last night on our first safari drive.  Tomorrow we leave super early for "bush" camping where we hike in for a few days and sleep next to the animals (no fence!)  Here's hoping we don't get any night time visitors of elephants or hyenas...  :)

4 comments:

  1. Yay! So excited for your travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! Botswana is so dry, dusty and hot, it's hard to breathe here, but seeing these animals in the wild makes it all worth it. :)

      Delete
  2. Jody - Fellow traveller (I'm in Serbia at the moment)! Hope you really enjoy it and have great experiences. Maybe our paths will cross soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome! I've wanted to visit Botswana for years. Have a great time in the bush!

    ReplyDelete