Monday, December 4, 2017

Everything's Better in Melbourne...

Ask any local here in Melbourne and they will tell you that they have the best city - The best restaurants, the freshest food, the coolest neighborhoods, the friendliest people, etc.  I have to agree as I have only been here for five days and I am already in love with this city!  Since I had absolutely no itinerary but my own and just suggestions from new friends (Thanks Sahba and Luke!), I have had a wonderful few days exploring downtown, enjoying the laid-back freedom in St. Kilda's beachside neighborhood and wandering the city in search of the incredible and funky street art that Melbourne is famous for.

One of the best elements of the city for me were the busy and "activated" alleyways everywhere - Full of shops, restaurants and people - No space is wasted and tiny stores dot the alleyways, which are absolutely bustling with people.

The Melbourne skyline:

The Melbourne Exhibition Hall, during an artisan fair:

An example of the beautiful Victorian architecture around the city.  Built during the late 1800's, London had similar iron detailing on many buildings, but little of that iron remains as it was removed and melted for the war efforts in WWI and WWII.  Melbourne is one of the last cities with the ornate detailing still intact:


Another spectacular 1880's building still standing proud.  Many of these buildings were built after the gold rush of the 1850's in Melbourne.  The city, flush with gold, went on a building spree:

One of the many alleyways:

A view of sculptural artwork along the Yarra River downtown: 

More public artwork in downtown - This one celebrating the refugees and immigrants who traveled to Australia to make a new life for themselves:

Some of the fun holiday decorations around downtown:

(Kim, this one is for you, macaroon queen!)


   

1 comment:

  1. Yaaaayyy! I'm so so glad you felt that way <3 I hope you had lots of coffee, and ridiculous hipster brunches, and went antiquing hehe. I keep seeing street art in the back of my friends photos and thinking of you. Hope the rest of Aus is just as welcoming! Lots of Love, S

    ReplyDelete