Thursday, October 19, 2017

Lake Malawi & Chitimba Beach


Spent an incredible evening on Chitimba Beach, playing soccer with 10+ Malawi boys and a few of my fellow travelers from my tour group.  (My previous teammates from FA, Bates and Colorado would have been proud – The only woman playing and I hopefully represented us well!)  Before the game got started, a little girl named Phempelo (which means “Prayer” in her tribal language) came right over to me and held my hand as a few of us took pictures on the beach.  She didn’t leave my side until she left the beach with her sister and brothers.  A really special moment with her and the other children on the beach that night!  They are so friendly and nearly everywhere we travel in Malawi, they come running out of their homes, smile and wave at us.  I’ve even had several children just come running over and hug me or hold my hand and run with me in the mornings for several hundred yards.  Then they let go, smile and wave and head back to their huts.  Absolutely beautiful children who are so unbelievably welcoming and friendly, many of whom rarely see white people. 


No comments:

Post a Comment